Entering traffic just after World War Two, the Thompson coaches were the last mainline corridor coaches to be built by the LNER, and indeed examples continued to be outshopped after Nationalisation in 1948. Utilising steel panelling, a departure from the teak panelling traditionally seen on coaches built by the LNER and its predecessors, the Thompson coaches were sleek and modern in appearance. Whilst much of the fleet would remain in service until the final days of steam, many of their hallmarks would also be seen in their successors, the British Railway Mark 1 Standard Coaching Stock.
The Graham Farish models of the LNER Thompson Coaches entered traffic to critical acclaim only a few years ago, and these models now appear in BR Maroon livery for the first time. Essential for any BR Eastern Region modeller, every coach is a faithful replica of the prototype, with two vehicle lengths modelled to accurately depict the longer First Corridor, Third Corridor (later classified as Second Corridor), Brake Third Corridor (later classified as Brake Second Corridor) and Full Brake vehicles, or the shorter Composite Corridors.
With the body sporting finely moulded details such as handrails, grab handles and roof vents, below the solebar the vacuum and steam heat pipework is present along with battery boxes, dynamo and brake equipment all fitted between the truss rod frames. The bogies are fitted with metal wheelsets, whilst the standard N scale coupling is attached via a NEM coupling pocket to the close coupling mechanism that is fitted to the carriage floor, which operates in tandem with the bogie. Inside each model is an interior featuring the prototypical layout of tables and chairs, whilst the icing on the cake is the livery application, using authentic colours, logos and fonts making every model a masterpiece in miniature.